No, attorneys cannot complete their Newly Admitted requirement with Lawline.
Newly Admitted California attorneys must complete the New Attorney Training Program offered only by the State Bar of California within their first year of admission, plus any additional CLE credits needed based upon their admission date.
The New Attorney Training Program consists of 9 courses and covers:
- 4 hours of Ethics
- 3 hours of Basic Skills
- 1.5 hours of Competence Issues
- 1.5 hours of Elimination of Bias
Newly Admitted Attorneys can sign up for free via the email they received from the CA State Bar. If they did not receive the email, they should reach out to the State Bar at 888-800-3400 or email (NewAttorneyTraining@calbar.ca.gov).
Newly admitted California attorneys can complete their remaining required credits with Lawline through Live Webcasts and/or On Demand programs. To look up the amount of CLE credits you must complete based on your admission date, please review this Proportional Requirements table.
Effective October 1, 2023, and beginning with the compliance period ending on January 31, 2025 (attorneys with last names starting with A-G), California attorneys are required to comply with the following requirements:
- At least 4 hours in Ethics
- At least 2 hours on Competence Issues (1 of these must specifically focus on prevention and detection);
- At least 2 hours of Elimination of Bias in the Legal Profession (1 of these must specifically be in Implicit Bias)
- At least 1 hour of Technology
- At least 1 hour of Civility in the Legal Profession
For more information on the California CLE requirements, click here.
Still have questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.